There are a lot of cameras on the market today, each built for specific purposes and conditions. As a landscape photographer, what you need is not just a fancy camera. You need a quality device with accessories that will capture all of nature’s landscape detail professionally.
Therefore the wide range of popular cameras available may not suffice for the details of landscape photography, what you need is beyond popularity. The megapixels, performance, ability to capture detail and quality in general, are what you should look out for.
Hence, this article is the review of the 5 best cameras for landscape photography which are known to be of good quality and performance. They are:
- 1 How To Choose The Best Camera For Landscape Photography
- 2 The Best Ways To Use Your Cameras For Landscape Photography
- 3 Best Camera For Landscape Photography Review
- 4 Conclusion
How To Choose The Best Camera For Landscape Photography
When buying a camera for landscape photography, there are quite a lot of things to look out for. You have the following options when picking a camera.
1. Point and shoots: This type of camera is around the size of a note card with a joined zoom lens and mostly automatic qualities. While they’re good for capturing good images, they are known to be lightweight and easy to use. However, some point and shoot lenses or small sensors don’t capture much light and sharpness compared to bigger cameras.
2. Mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras: Though newly introduced, they have grown among serious photographers. With these types, light is directly sent to the image sensor through the lens. Even in a small camera body, it gives a large image sensor with its build. Mirrorless cameras have been found interesting by landscape photographers.
3. Entry-Level and Mid-Range DSLRs: They considerably have larger sensors, they offer a professional level of images. Their camera bodies are bigger and their lenses are interchangeable. These cameras can do point to shoots as well and they provide the greatest photographic expression. Also, capture wonderful detail and color and more functions.
4. Professional DSLRs (Full Frame): Professional DSLRs are capable of taking full-frame images with their 36x24mm extra large sensors. You get more visual information! For landscape photography, this is a superb option.
Things to look out for/Attributes of a landscape photography camera
1. High resolution: To make the larger reproduction, what you need is a camera with enough resolution. While 16 megapixels is good, 20 megapixels or more is even better. Presently, there are digital cameras offering 50 megapixels and some offer more.
2. Lenses: The total focus should not be on the camera, don’t get carried away. The lens is equally important too. A strong wide angle lens is what you need. As hard as achieving this may sound, this specific lens helps to get a professional grade of shots. With other lenses, you might not get an undistorted shot.
3. Live view: With this, you as a landscape photographer will be able to preview focus, exposure, and composition right on the LCD screen of the camera. I find this feature important to field workflow.
4. Weather sealing: This is a very important consideration. As a landscape photographer, you tend to spend most of your time outdoors, so you might want to look out for weather sealing when buying a camera. The weather sealing is basically the addition of rubber to protect the joints and buttons from contact with moisture and dust. This might give a little increase to the price of your camera however, it is worth the extra cash.
5. Raw Files: A camera that allows for raw files shooting is important if you really want to have a full control over the look of your images…
6. Dynamic range: A camera sensor with more dynamic range allows you to capture detail easily in highlight and shadow areas simultaneously.
The Best Ways To Use Your Cameras For Landscape Photography
Using your camera for landscape photography doesn’t require many efforts. Majorly what you need after getting an ideal camera is to get a nice view and adequate lighting. To make the best use of your camera, a good location must be set with the right season fitting such a location. Do not forget to fix the right time of the day in order to get the best out of your camera.
Apart from your wide angle lens, you might also want to take along a longer lens. Who knows, they might come in useful when you want to capture distant details and only these lenses serve that purpose well.
Landscape photography cameras are used to capture places across the world. These places are sometimes vast and endless but could be microscopic too. You can use your camera to capture nature and human-made features. Landscape photographers employ the use of their cameras either to keep memories of places during travels or just as an outdoor lifestyle with nature.
Some also use the gadget as an escape mechanism from the artificial world while appreciating nature.
Best Camera For Landscape Photography Review
Featuring a large and amazing resolution of 50.6 megapixels. Canon EOS 5DS R is a professional camera and solidly so. With its filter effectively canceled, you can enjoy its huge megapixel for intricate details. Ideal for large-scale printing, it captures Images of ultra-high resolutions. It also allows for creative croppings.
With its Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors, you are getting a lot. It can handle abundant information, allows speedy performance, and gives you the topmost image quality. It’s video capabilities are also great. It features HD 1080p at 30fps capture. This camera comes with WiFi adapter and a Tripod stand of 12 inches.
|High resolution 50.6 megapixels|
|Ideal for professional use|
|Provides quality and detailed image|
|Enables large scale printing|
|WiFi adapter inclusive|
Of Nikon DSLR lineup, this one is offering you an extraordinary resolution option. Get sharp and detailed images of your landscape scenes with the Nikon D850 FX-format Digital SLR Camera. It comes with 45.7 megapixels. This extreme resolution is side by side with extreme speed, thanks to EXPEED 5 that processes quickly, all data received from the 45.7 megapixels. It achieves this at a lower noise and still gives you peak performance.
Enjoy enough shooting time without frequent worry about recharging. The camera comes with an outstandingly performing battery. Enjoy continuous shooting at high speed approx. 9 fps. Nikon D850 features the lowest base ISO, ISO 64 and can be expanded down to ISO 32. This feature is just like the Nikon previous model Nikon D810.
|Wider dynamic range|
|Extraordinary image quality|
|Tilt and touch LCD screen|
|Focuses well in low light situations|
|Enhanced light gathering efficiency|
|Suitable for capturing fast moving objects|
Comes with an amazing 42.4 megapixels for high response plus amazing shooting speed up to 10 fps giving you impressive results. Sony a7R III mirrorless camera offers you a low noise shoot with wide 15-stop 4 dynamic range.
Processing speed is boosted, with its BIONZ X processing engine, by approximately 1.8 times. This gives room for faster speeds while also allowing ISO range of 100-32000. For still images, the ISO is expandable to 50 – 102400.
|Shutter vibration reduced to the minimum hence no blur||Touch screen works only for focusing|
|Per second, up to 10 frames can be achieved with its high speed continuous shoot function|
|Tested for durability|
|Optional vertical grip houses 2 batteries for long use|
If you want a high-performance camera for landscape photography then here is one. Fujifilm X-T2 Mirrorless Digital Camera is high performing. Its color reproduction is outstanding. Compared with the previous model, its image processing engine is 4 times faster than the former. Built-in memory is as well increased.
This camera also works well in low light conditions and its performance level has been boosted. Even in 3EV low light levels, it focuses accurately. Against the required number, this camera captures around 1.8x more pixels than required for 4k videos. With the camera comes a vertical power booster grip.
|Outstanding color reproduction|
|High performance camera|
|Suitable for low light conditions|
|Comes with an 18-55mm Lens|
|Lightweight, weighs 5.81 pounds|
This is a DSLR Camera suitable for your landscape photography needs. Canon Rebel T6 DSLR Camera is not just perfect for landscape photography, but also perfect for action, portrait, and more forms of photography. Whether you are a beginner or a pro, it is to be loved. The camera has a scene intelligent auto mode. An inexperienced photographer can tap into this and have it as an advantage. What this offers Is that your camera can do all the work for you, no expertise needed.
With its 18.0-megapixel CMOS and image processor (Digic 4+), high-quality image and great speed are what you will boast of. This Canon camera features an ISO of 100–6400 which is adjustable and could be extended up to H: 12800. This feature allows you to capture amazing images both in the bright or low light. The camera also features inbuilt wireless connectivity.
|Easy to use for novices||Tripod might not be durable|
|Compatible with canon EF and EFs lenses for additional lens use|
|Intelligently fast and auto focusing performance|
|Allows for continuous shooting|
|3.0 inch large and bright LCD mirror|
|Protectors: camera cover, lens dust cover, lens cap, battery cover.|
Canon EOS 5DS-R 5DSR DSLR Camera has made the top of our list. This is certainly not an error. So, if you are looking to buy a good camera for landscape photography, here it is. Although, the rest on our list is good for landscape photography too, then, Canon EOS 5DS-R 5DSR DSLR Camera is just the best.
It has a mouth-watering number of megapixels; 50.6 megapixels people! This is just the professional touch you need to your photographs. Whether for record sake or not, you should get the best out of what you do.
It features Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors and this offers you a lot. Optimum quality image, good speed, careful attention to details, and what more! Well, you might be getting this for just photography but you might just find yourself doing some videos too. It’s video capabilities are quite great- HD 1080p capture at 30fps capture.
These and more have ranked this camera as our number one. So, why not check it out and try it, perhaps it might just be exactly what you are looking for!
Did you like “What’s The Best Camera For Landscape Photography?”? We would greatly appreciate if you share it on your favorite social media channel.