Whether you’re a social media makeup artist, an online makeup tutor, or simply a fashionista trying to showcase your makeup skills. You cannot deny the importance of having the Best Camera for Makeup Artists. If you’re a makeup artist and you want to land that big job, you should consider getting the best camera for makeup artists. The right camera expresses the details better and clearly shows everything you have put into your work.
You must’ve seen how Youtube has suddenly become a hub for makeup vloggers who continue to get premium deals by showcasing their works to their numerous followers. It is not enough to possess the right skills. Every makeup artist wants to be seen, but it is also not enough to be seen. What is important is that your audience or searchers see your work as clearly as possible.
This guide will show you the 5 best cameras for Makeup Photography that will take your makeup business to another level.
***Table Created Through AAWP
How to Choose the Best Makeup Camera
You do not simply go to a shop and pick just any camera as a makeup artist. The beauty industry is a very sensitive business and everyone is looking for the best way to be seen. Makeup involves the combination of beautiful colors to create impressions, patterns and a beautiful picture.
Only the best makeup camera can help you reflect, and perhaps, enhance whatever look you are able to create. Below are some factors you should consider while choosing the best camera for you.
Choosing the Best Camera for Makeup Photography
1. Great Light Sensitivity
We often try to erase the problem of illumination by taking outdoor shots. However, this is not always possible. Sometimes, it will take too much to recreate a particular scene outdoor and still get the kind of lighting you want. That is why you need a camera that has great light sensitivity. You do not want your pictures to turn out murky or blurry. Plus, you’d need a camera that will provide great results even when there’s very little light.
2. Advanced Macro Settings
It is also important that you choose a camera that affords you the ability to carry out shot techniques like close-up shots. This will give you the chance to capture small important facial details like your lips or your eyes. You can show off that new amazing rouge or those beautiful, smoky eyes that you’ve just created, without altering the colors or patterns.
3. Video Recording
And just because I mentioned earlier that you could be offering makeup tutorials on social media, it’s important that you have a camera that allows you to record quality videos for uploads. Be sure to get a camera that has HD Video Recording and a resolution of between 720p and 1080p. This gives you the freedom to do much more than just stills.
4. Battery Power
This is another important factor you should consider before you make that purchase. You do not want to be streaming a live video and get caught off midway due to loss of battery power. You should get a camera whose battery gives you the leverage to do so much before you’d need to charge it.
5. Screen Adjustability
There are times when you’d need to take shots that’d make it impossible for you to look directly into the viewfinder. Sometimes, some shots require that you move the camera to your side, above your head, or when you need to take a self-portrait, you need a camera with an adjustable screen to enable you to see what you’re doing regardless of the position of the camera.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Best Camera for Makeup Artists
Q: Should I only use a DSLR camera?
Answer: While a DSLR Camera is great for taking pictures due to the fact that it does not alter the image it receives through the lens, you should not limit yourself. There are other amazing Non-DSLR cameras out there, like some of the ones in this review, that will produce extremely great results and produce realistic images.
Q: Is it advisable to spend a fortune on a camera as a makeup artist?
Answer: It is not so much about how much you spend, but the results you get. However, as a beginner, I’ll advise you start with something that won’t put a hole in your finances. You can always upgrade as your business grows. Just be sure to get a camera that does the job.
Q: Does it matter if the microphone is built in or attached?
Answer: I always advise that you buy a camera with a built-in microphone because they just happen to sync better. This doesn’t mean there are no attachable microphones that also produce great sound.
Best Cameras for Makeup Photography Review
- CANON T6: Perfect for portrait, action, landscape photography and more, the Canon EOS Rebel T6 is bundled with enhanced features that beginners and pros alike will love. The EOS Rebel T6 DSLR includes the Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens. This standard zoom lens features Optical Image Stabilizer technology.
- PHOTOS AND VIDEO: T6 is equipped with an 18.0 Megapixel CMOS image sensor that captures images with outstanding clarity and tonal range. Full HD quality video capturing performance.
- CONNECTIVITY: Using Wi-Fi and Canon's free Camera Connect app, the EOS Rebel T6 can connect to a number of compatible devices. Built-in NFC (Near Field Communication) helps provide a virtually seamless connection to numerous compatible Android devices, and the Canon Connect Station CS100 device.
- Canon Authorized Dealer - Includes USA Manufacturer's Warranty
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens with Canon 100ES EOS DSLR Camera Gadget Bag, 58mm 3-Piece Filter Kit, Focus 58mm 2-Piece Wide & Tele Lens Set, Focus Camera Canon LP-E10 Rechargeable Replacement 1600mAh Li-ion Battery & Charger, SanDisk Ultra 32GB 80MB/s SD Card, 12-Inch Spider Tripod and Focus DSLR Accessory Kit
If you’re looking to up your makeup photography game and get attention to your work, this might just be the right camera for you. It is a Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera made by the camera powerhouse, Canon. If you’re a photography enthusiast, you should already know that Canon is a unique brand known for quality. The EOS Rebel T6 is the ideal camera for those vibrant and highly detailed pictures and videos you desire.
Whether it’s a wide-angle shot to capture the pretty side or a close-up to show off those amazing facial details, you can’t ask for anything better. The photos are greatly produced that you’d want to show them off. No matter the subject you want to take, the camera has a scene intelligent auto feature that is sensitive to every unique situation. It is WiFi and NFC enabled, meaning you can share your pictures on the platform of your choice for the world to see.
|Great battery power (1100mAh) with an efficient charger||Tripod is pretty short, if you’ll ever need it|
|DIGIC-4+ Image Processor ensures great results even in low light||Doesn't have a flip out screen|
|Eye-catching image quality for your viewer’s pleasure|
|Full HD video with enhanced creative filters for recording|
|WiFi and NFC wireless connectivity for quick and easy uploads|
|Comes with a manufacturer’s warranty|
|Also includes a replacement battery, charger pack and a 32GB SD card|
- 18 MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- 5 FPS continuous shooting,Dimensions (W x H x D):Approx. 5.2 x 3.9 x 3.1 in;Approx. 133.1 x 99.8 x 78.8mm
- 9 point AF system, all cross type
- ISO 100-12800 (expandable to 25600)
- 1080 (30, 25, 24 fps) and 720 (60, 50 fps) HD video (29min limit, H.264 format)
This is about the priciest camera in this guide, and it’s for a good reason. It is one of the most advanced within its grade and also features a flip-out screen that is easily adjustable. This is a spectacular addition to the Rebel Line with an added touch of class. The Rebel T5i features a clear view LCD monitor with a superb vari-angle touch screen that makes composing an exciting experience. It has a full-featured functionality, and yet very easy to operate.
The 18.0 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor combines with the DIGIC-5 image processor to give you that amazing picture quality that will keep your viewers focused on the details. It is a great tool for any makeup artist who wishes to stand out on social media or just keep a great portfolio. Due to its capacity to record about 16,384 different colors per channel, the EOS Rebel T5i preserves the fine detail in subjects like foliage, water, and the sky. This means every color and tone on that face are recorded with an apt accuracy.
|Great performance camera even in low light situations.||It is not the cheapest camera.|
|Flip out screen affords you great flexibility.||Quality of the video should be improved.|
|Shoots about 5.0 frames continuously every second.|
|HDR backlight control for enhanced results.|
|Noise-reduction technology ensures crystal clear images and videos.|
|Has a built in stereo microphone that can be adjusted manually.|
|Touch screen for enhanced simplicity.|
- INCLUDES: Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Digital Camera + Altura Photo Camera Bag with Shoulder Strap + Altura Photo Rapid Fire Wrist Strap + 67MM Altura Photo Professional Photography Filter Kit (UV-CPL-ND4) + 67mm Lens Adapter for Canon Powershoot SX530 + Altura Photo Cleaning Kit + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth.
- HIGH ACTION PERFORMANCE: Features a 16.1MP high-sensitivity CMOS sensor with a DIGIC 6 image processor, bright 3" LCD and an electronic viewfinder, perfect for shooting interiors and landscapes.
- HIGH TECH SPECS: Includes 65x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom with an optical image stabilizer, easy to capture 1080p HD video. (Includes: Canon NB-10L battery pack and charger, neck strap and lens cap)
- CANON brand accessories included: Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Digital Camera + NB-10L Lithium-Ion Battery Pack + CB-2LC Charger for NB-10L Battery + NS-DC11 Neck Strap + Lens Cap with Strap + Canon Limited 1-Year Warranty
- CANON AUTHORIZED DEALER. Includes Full Canon USA Warranty.
Then comes the Canon Powershot SX 60 HS Digital camera with its unique style and design. This camera is built for that long-distance reach so that you can pick your specific subject out of the crowd. It has a shocker for a zoom lens; a 65x optical zoom which ranges from 21mm to 1365mm. The optical image stabilizer also helps you gain focus stability so that no part of the picture is blurry as a result of shaking.
With all its advanced features, the SX60 ensures that you capture realistic pictures so that natural details are not distorted. What’s more, the CMOS Sensor combines with Canon’s latest DIGIC-6 technology to process your images even in low light for excellent performance and results. The Vivitar NB10L battery made for Canon Powershot efficiently powers this camera. It comes with an Altura mini tripod, photo cleaning kit, lens adapter, and 3-piece filter kit.
|The camera is perfect for both indoor and outdoor makeup shoots.||Image might lack stability when the camera moves.|
|Unique crystal clarity for your viewers’ satisfaction.||Not so much of an upgrade on the XS50 HS.|
|Comes with a tripod for easy grip and movement.|
|Also includes extra batteries and charger for prolonged performance.|
|A neck strap is included to aid carriage.|
|It is also extremely easy to use, even for beginners.|
- 12x optical zoom; 24x dynamic fine zoom, an enhanced zoom function that effectively doubles your reach
- Vari-angle display and built-in kickstand
- Target Finding AF for accurate, intelligent autofocus
- 19 Scene Modes plus full HD 1080p videos with stereo sound
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication technology allow you to wirelessly share photos to a compatible smartphone.Please refer user manual attached below for instructions and troubleshooting steps.
Here comes another amazing brand in the world of photography. If what you desire is just a simple but quality camera that is very portable and easy to control, Nikon Coolpix S6900 camera might just be what you’re looking for. A vari-angle, adjustable LCD screen gives you that much-needed flexibility to take shots from whatever angles you desire. This camera is equipped for easy self-portraits, making it perfect for makeup artists.
Most makeup artists are selfie photographers. If you’re one, this camera is designed for you. With the ease of a smartphone and the quality of a digital camera, it is one of the most affordable cameras for the quality it offers. It has a built-in microphone to capture audio when you record full HD 1080p videos. The 12x optical zoom gives you 4.5 to 54mm focal length, while the CMOS Sensor continues to ensure high-resolution images all day long.
|The camera is quite easy to use.||Camera is sensitive to movement.|
|Budget friendly considering its quality.||Does not have a viewfinder.|
|Enables you take selfies with it’s highly flippable LCD screen.|
|You can use the convenient front shutter button or just wave your hand for a selfie shot.|
|Helps you focus on the details you want.|
- 16MP 1/2.3in CCD sensor
- FUJINON lens with 36x optical zoom (25-900mm equivalent)
- 3in LCD monitor (460k dots)
- HD movies at 720p/30fps
- Powered by 3×AA alkaline batteries with an approx. 250-shot battery life
The last product on this review is the Fujifilm FinePix S8600 16 MP Digital Camera. It is another budget-friendly camera ideal for a beginning makeup artist/vlogger. The camera body is incredibly compact, with a slim profile that makes it easy to carry around in your pocket or purse. The design is quite efficient. Whether it’s a magnified action, or a wide-angle landscape, the 25-900mm optical lens has got you covered.
There is also a stabilization system to help combat blurry images from camera movement. Plus, you can record HD movies at 720p/30fps in a cinematic widescreen format of 16:9.
|Great for both indoor and outdoor shots.||Doesn't have a built in microphone, but can use an external one.|
|Comes with a neck strap for easy movement with the camera.||Not very good speed.|
|Very easy to operate; great for beginners.|
|Comes with a lens cover for protection.|
|Great features for crystal clear images.|
Successful Makeup artists understand the importance of showcasing their works. Many of them have landed the multimillion-dollar jobs and endorsements through YouTube photography and so on. If you want to join the big league, this is a good place to start. You can choose any of these cameras based on your specific needs and budgets.
Personally, the Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera is my favorite for so many reasons. It comes with most of the features that a great makeup camera should have. So, go for one of these and watch your business grow tremendously.
Did you like “What Is Best Camera for Makeup Artists?”? We would greatly appreciate if you share it on your favorite social media channel.