It is not enough to have a website, more is required such as having good traffic driven to your website. To achieve that means you have a successful site running.
The question then is how? Let us take a look at the SEO technique, a method of having your website rank high on Google. This will be discussed in this article.
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization is what SEO means. It is a technique used to get free traffic, natural and better ranking on Google and other search engines. When you use this method, it will help your website appear relevant and highly ranked in search results.
The more links your web pages have from other web pages, the better your ranking. Google uses a complicated mathematical formula called algorithm which it uses to determine websites ranking.
How SEO Works?
1. Linking: The idea is to ensure your website appears on Google and have a high ranking too. You can achieve that by creating top quality content which will be motivating enough for people to link to and share to other sources like Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc.
Having people link to your web page(s) is a proof that your site is authoritative and trustworthy. And of course, it is expected that Google will want to give nothing but the best to its users.
Also, outbound links have a role to play. If your site is pointing at authoritative sites (like what you can see at the bottom of this post), it gives a signal to search engines that your website is a good resource page. However, inbound links from quality web pages give you more benefit.
When talking links, you should know that quality is better than quantity. If your content is outstanding, quality websites may naturally include links to your blog post without you soliciting. Just ensure your content is worth linking to.
Also, get people to comment on posts and also do reviews about products, if that is what you do with your site. All these might show Google that your site is reliable and authoritative.
Like I said earlier, the search engine only wants to give the best results to its users.
2. Quality Content Creation: Another way to make your website stand out and recognized by Google is for you to create unique and exciting contents for your site.
What makes your site stand out? If you have a product you’re selling through your website, your approach to it should differ from others.
Information sells, so you may give some information about the product such as a buying guide, how to use such a product, its benefits and so on.
Ensure not to copy other people’s work because Google is smart enough to detect when your content is not original.
3. Keywords: While creating content, ensure you use phrases that users use to search for such things. KW Finder, Google’s Keyword Planner or Ahrefs will help you determine used keywords.
For instance, if you have a webpage teaching banana pancake recipe, you may find yourself including phrases like ‘the best banana pancake recipe,’ ‘unique way to make pancakes,’ etc., in your article.
4. Have A Niche: Having a website that deals with everything might not be a good idea if you want to rank high on Google. With the smartness of search engines now, it is better to have a focus.
If your website is about clothes and clothes alone, it will be easy for people who are searching for that to locate you. Hence, create a niche and stick to it, that is best for you.
5. Site Speed: Ensure you create a site that loads quickly. Caching plugins will help with that. How speedy your site loads interests Google.
6. URL Length: Users and even search engines will comprehend simple and straight URL. From your URL, they can quickly know what the post is talking about. Therefore, keep it simple, short and explanatory on its own.
7. Content-Length: If you really want your post to rank high on Google, the word count of your content should not be less than 1,500 words. You should always have between 1500 and 2000 to prove that your work is detailed enough.
Why SEO Is Important For Business And For You?
Search engines are the primary ways to get good free traffic to your website. Other means are social media. Since search engines are the major ways, you need SEO.
With search engines (e.g., Google, yahoo, bing) people can get to see what you have for them, be it product or services. It could be information too. Whatever it is, search engines help greatly.
The search engine optimization technique will help users find your website. Although search engines are smarter on their own, they still need a little help.
There are thousands to millions of people doing what you do, why should people visit you? Why should Google or other search engines show your webpage first when people search? That is the role of SEO in your website.
With SEO, you can drive quantity and quality traffic to your website. All you have to do is follow the rules.
SEO is a combination of marketing and technical skills, but it could be fun too if you choose to make it so also. It is not as complicated as it seems.
Although the focus has been on Google, all these may apply to other search engines too. However, Google is the most spoken about and most used search engine; hence the focus.
Did you like “What is SEO (SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION)?”. We would greatly appreciate if you share this on your favorite media channels.